Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Chico Weekend Extravaganza!


This past weekend the Cal Cycling team packed up bikes, sleeping bags, Camel Paks, and kits to head to head north to Chico's MTB Race! We were lucky to have some lovely hospitality from the Chico team and were able to crash on some very comfy floors. Due to the rain on Friday, the race was moved from Bidwell Upper Park to Oroville Dam. Unfortunately this meant that the short track was canceled. And we all know how much I love to suffer on a quick short course for 30 minutes! No I seriously do!


The XC was quick and short. It was two laps of a 4.5 mile loop. The first half was smooth and up down double track, followed by a gruesome 10 minute rock climb, and then a 5 minute rock descent, and when I mean rock, I mean ROCK!!! The climb sucked and the end of the race was a climb, but I WON! Then it was a leisurely munching session and bullshitting back at the cars and then gearing up for the Super D. A very fun course that was about 6 and half minutes for me. I barreled down the descents, spun spun spun up the climbs and only slowed for the tight turns! It paid off because I WON AGAIN! I was so stoked! You should of seen my sprint for the end...very strong!


A nice dinner at Sierra Brewery, and a early evening for myself, allowed me to wake up refreshed and ready for the downhill on Sunday. We trekked out to Oroville Dam once again, with coffee and bagels in hand, ready for some downhill practice runs. And for the first time in Cal MTM history we had a shuttle for the downhill...it was awesome. So three practice runs later I was ready to race, a win. My dad came up to Oroville to watch my race which was really cool. However, he only got to see me wizzing by on one of the straightaways. He enjoyed it though. So after waiting for every category to go down the hill, Women's Bs were up! I went last, and simply flew down the hill, pedaling as much as I could, where I could, and taking the turns as fast as I could. I turned towards the final stretch and put on the big burners, going to the biggest gear I could crank out. With the time I got I would have been 3rd in Women's As and beat a bunch of the Men's Cs. So I WON AGAIN! That would be three wins in a weekend! How great is that!

So after a great weekend I am totally ready for this weekend and Surf City CX!!!! I can't wait! See you all there!

No comments: