Monday, January 22, 2007

Roma sono molte bene!



OH MY GOD!!! Rome is so amazing! I can't believe how beautiful it is and how monumental every building and piece of art is. I am seeing this stuff and then I just keep saying: "Oh my god. It is so huge. I never imagined it was THIS big!" I have been running all over the city in the past few days, seeing so much stuff, learning the public tranportation system (bus, metro, and tram), buying food, eating gelato, drinking coffee, taking pictures, and oh yeah I did start class today.

On my first day, Thursday, (I slept on Wednesday after my 16 or 17 hours of traveling) I found my way to school, which is 2 blocks, literally 2 blocks, away from the Pantheon. I had lunch outside a ristorante, on a table with checkered tableclothes, and umbrellas. We had orientation stuff all day, and then an apertif that night. Friday was my first true exploring day. I saw the Piazzo Navonna, Bernini's 4 river fountains, Campo di'Fiori, one of Rome's talking statues, some amazing Caravaggio paintings that are in a church a few blocks from school in the Chapel of St. Matthew, the Tiber, one of the bridges, and then had a dinner with the whole program. After which I decided it was proper to introduce myself to Roman nightlife. Number one: never go to Campo di'Fiori at night. It's all American students and it is exactly like being at some college bar that is grosse and dirty back home. But I did find a cool lounge/bar that served good drinks and wasn't dirty. After hanging out with some of my new friends and having a few drinks I hopped in a cab and travelled back to my apartment in Monteverde!



Saturday it was the Vaticano! OH MY GOD! S. Pietro (St. Peter's) is so huge. The basillica and duomo are amazing. The Baldichino is unparelled and the artwork was breathtaking! It was better than I ever imagined. I think I spent about 1 and half just roaming around S. Pietro itself. I did not get to see the Sistine Chapel yet though, because it is in the Museo Vaticano which closes at 12:45 (very early in my opinion). So I have to go back. I also saw the grottoes, where many of the popes are buried, which wasn't all that impressive, but the momument to St. Peter himself, and the box in which his remains are supposed to be was pretty cool. So a little more travelling around the piazza and mailing a postcard from the Poste Vaticano, yes the Vatican has its very own post office, for it is its own country, I had some lunch and headed home early. My feet were tired and so was I.



Sunday was the Forum Romano. We had a school tour that was lead by a really cool professor. We didn't go inside the Colesseo, so I will have to return soon. But the tour was really cool and informative! It almost rained but the sun eventually came out. Then I made my way to the Vittorio Emanuelle II Monument and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Fontana Trevi, and a nice walk. Home for some pasta and bread and then some lounging around before bed and an early morning today.

I am learning Italiano, beginning today. I am loving every minute here! It's been a rush! I already miss my bike! And everyone back home, but my new friends and apartment are exciting and its all a whirlwind. I hope you like the pictures and I will continue my update on Rome as soon as there is more to tell! Ciao bella! Arrevederci!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures but I don't want to see you in them - I want the sights!!! Glad to hear you are having a good time. I expect a postcard from the Vatican.Dave wants to know if you got him his bike yet...

Anonymous said...

I betcha there was some really rad shredin in the forum huh? All those steps and grindin on the pillers...killer pillers...hahaha...totally.

have you found a bike shop yet?fencing suppply? WELL GET ON IT!

Velo Bella said...

when you're done looking at all those fancy buildings and things, could you take a few pics of the local men?

X Bunny said...

i'm worn out just reading about all the fun!

Lilly Bella said...

como sta mi amica?
we miss you bellabear! thanks for the pics, brings back great memories of Roam, well thats what I did when I went there I roamed all over till my strappies fell apart and had to buy new italiano shoes...

get me some italian strappies girlie!

ciao bella

marscat said...

i love Rome...all the cafes and fountains and buildings lit up at night...have fun for us.

Unknown said...

thanks for the pics becky! they are awesome...keep sending more so we can continue to live through your adventures:-)